One tug is all it takes, and the bed folds out smoothly and silently on state-of-the-art gas pistons. The beds are held securely closed, and open gently for safety.
Installation Space Requirements Be sure you have sufficient space for installation. A full-size bed will extend about 7′ into the room when open, and the width of the bed cabinet plus the side cabinets will be about 8′ 8″. The unit must sit flush against the wall. If the room has base molding, you will need to make relief cuts on the back edges of the Bed Cabinet Verticals and Cabinet Sides or remove and cut the room molding to fit.
Build the Inner Bed Frame
- Arrange two Inner Bed Frame Strut Pieces (1) into an “L” shape to make the Frame Struts. Make sure the ends are flush, then drill 1/8″ pilot holes about 8″ apart and join the pieces with 1 5⁄8″ Coarse Thread Screws (45). Repeat to make four other Frame Struts.
- Position the Frame Struts between the Inner Frame Sides (2) 18 3⁄4″ apart. Fig. 1. Drill pilot holes through the Inner Frame Sides (2) into each end of the Frame Struts and attach with 2″ Coarse Thread Screws (46).
Install the Pivoting Leg Hardware
- Mark the radius on the top front edges of both Side Rails (3) and the locations of the 5/8″ and 1/4″ holes on the Side Rails’ (3) inside faces. Shop Drawing.
- Cut the rounded corners with a jigsaw and sand smooth. Apply Veneer Edge Banding (48) along the top edges and radiused ends. Trim excess.
- Drill the 5/8″ diameter holes 1/2″ deep on the inside faces of the Side Rails (3). Fig. 2.
- Position the correct Metal Pivoting Leg (31) for each Side Rail (3) in place, inserting the pivot in the hole you just drilled. Make sure the pivot plate is square to the edges of the Side Rail (3), then mark the locations of the bottom two screw holes.
- Remove the Metal Pivoting Leg (31) and drill 1/4″ through holes in the locations you just marked, using a backer board to avoid tear-out.
- From the outside face of each Side Rail (3), insert a T-nut (34) in each 1/4″ hole. Align the Metal Pivoting Leg’s (31) plate with the holes and secure with machine screws (35) threaded into the T-nuts (34). Drive Black Screws (33) in the remaining holes in each plate. Fig. 2.
- Remove the Metal Pivoting Leg (31) hardware from each Side Rail (3).
- Locate the center on each end of the solid-wood Leg Support Rail (13) by drawing diagonal lines from corner to corner. Drill a 7/32″ hole 1 1⁄2″ deep centered on the mark at each end. Don’t attach the rail to the Metal Pivoting Legs (31) at this time; wait until the piece has been finished.